Personal Care Worker (PCW) Job Description
A Personal Care Worker is a member of the home care team who assists the client with the tasks of daily living and personal care as outlined in a written care plan. Personal Care Workers are supervised by KCL management.
- KCL prefers that a Personal Care Worker have previous personal care experience which is verifiable through references, and must be listed on the CCDET registry. Personal care workers shall complete 15 hours of training approved by the licensing agency related to
health, safety and welfare of residents, resident rights and treatment appropriate to residents served prior to or within 6 months after starting to provide care. This training shall include training in fire safety and first aid Personal Care Worker shall complete 8 hours of training approved by the licensing agency related to the health, safety, welfare, rights, and treatment of residents every year beginning with the calendar year after the year in which the initial training is received.
- Training shall emphasize the techniques of caring for the special needs of the clients the
PCW will serve and must be a certified Personal Care Worker.
- Must be at least 18 years of age with a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Must be physically able to perform the duties of the position.
- Must exhibit mature responsible behavior, and understand the strict need for patient confidentiality.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak English.
- Must be able to follow direction and accurately report to the Supervisor any changes in client's condition.
- Must have available reliable transportation to and from assignments.
- Must be able to maintain the team atmosphere of trust, fairness, respect, and support within the Company.
- Must demonstrate dependability, honesty, and confidentiality.
- Must provide a personal phone line or other reliable means of communication.
The duties of a Personal Care Worker may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Perform tasks assigned by KCL Management
- Promptly report any significant changes observed or reported in the client’s condition to the manager our primary care physician
- Confer as required with the KCL management regarding the client’s progress
- Documenting pertinent information pertaining to the client’s care.
- Reminding clients to take medication at the appropriate time.
- Planning and preparing meals according to specific dietary requirements of the client, and if necessary, feeding the client.
- Assisting the client with therapy exercises under the direction of a Registered Therapist. Range of Motion exercises.
- Assisting or performing personal care including but not limited to: hair care, skin care, nail care, oral hygiene (teeth, mouth, and denture), bathing (sponge bathing, bed bath, and showers), grooming (shaving), hearing aid, eye glasses, and dressing.
- Assisting with ambulation and simple transfers with or without mechanical aids specified in their care plan.
- Assisting with routine bodily functions: Example, toileting.
- Maintaining a safe, clean and healthy environment through light housekeeping including changing bed Linens, dusting and vacuuming, cleaning kitchen and bathroom, and laundry.
- Providing companionship and stimulation for the client including reading, walks, etc.; and accompanying the client to doctors or other appointments.
- Grocery shopping or other errands when needed.
- Performing other housekeeping tasks as indicated in the care plan.
- Taking client’s vital signs and recording input and output when applicable.
- Observing and reporting changes in client's condition to the KCL Supervisor.
- Accurately completing daily records and submitting them to the office by date due.
- Participating in in-service education programs.
Physical / Mental Requirements:
- Lifting, carrying objects such as cleaning supplies, linens, dishes, laundry baskets, etc. ranging from 5 to 50 pounds without assistance
- Simple manipulative skills are required to consistently manipulate small appliances such as vacuums, electric brooms, can openers, etc.
- Ability to concentrate on moderate detail with some interruption
- Reaching overhead to remove and replace dishes, linens, etc.
- A sense of balance is required to safely assist clients with walkers and canes in ambulation
- Ability to wear gloves and other protective coverings
- Ability to follow instructions and specific ideas behind actions
- Must be able to bend, stoop, climb stairs and stand for long periods of time
Employee May Not:
- Cut the nails of any patient unless authorized by a Supervisor.
- Perform any type of heavy housework such as cleaning stoves with oven cleaners, moving heavy furniture or appliances, etc.
- Employee may not provide skilled nursing cares, such as, wound or invasive cares authorized by primary care physician and supervisor.
- Employee may not administer any medications unless prescribed by the primary care physician specified in a doctors order.
To apply for the PCW position, please download and fill out our employment application here and email it to email@example.com.
EOE and Anti-Discrimination Policy
Kastle Communities, LLC shall not tolerate, under any circumstances, without exception, any form of discrimination based on race, creed, religion, color, age, disability, pregnancy, marital status, parental status, veteran status, military status, domestic violence victim status, national origin, political affiliation, sex, predisposing genetic characteristics, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, and any other status protected by the law. This list is not exhaustive. Job promotions will be offered to employees based on merit, experience, and other job-related criteria. For qualified people with disabilities, Kastle Communities, LLC will make every effort to provide reasonable workplace accommodations that comply with applicable laws. All employees, managers, stakeholders, and agents at Kastle Communities, LLC will comply with these anti-discrimination policies. In some cases, local laws and regulations may provide greater protections than those described in this policy.